Thursday, January 6, 2011

Snapshot #207: The Princess Bride


January 6, 2011.  Orem, Utah.  If you haven't yet read The Princess Bride from cover to cover I suggeset you stop reading this post now and come back to finish it after you have completed the task.  


I have spent the last two weeks abhorring William Goldman.  S. Morgenstern, I thought, was a literary genius...I needed to get my hands on the original work...why did this Goldman character think he was all that?  Every one of his commentaries throughout the book, The Princess Bride, were entirely painful.  He was such a jerk (and Dave heard about it too...my audible frustrations throughout the reading).  Goldman was dishonorable, a jerk to his wife, a jerk to his child...didn't he get that his son didn't want a book....he wanted a father?!  And who is this Goldman fellow anyway...thinking he can take someone else's work and put his name on it?  Oh, the entire thing truly bothered me.  Of course he's being sued!  Look how big his name is on the cover of this book?  Can you even see Morgenstern's name?  The real genius?  Sure I had other thoughts throughout the reading. How in the world was this book translated into English?  The text is perfectly poetic in the English language...the text had to have changed significantly to achieve this...not to mention all the rhymes.  He went to visit Florin?  But I thought Florin was a make-believe place?  He saw the cliffs of insanity...the fire swamp?  Wait here just a minute...


Thanks to google and Wikipedia all my quandaries have been put to rest.  When I read this passage, needless to say I was dumbstruck.  Could it be?  But of course!  But how?  After going on for so long  believing one thing...it's quite difficult to accept a parallel reality.  Goldman is not an idiot...he's a genius!  


I'm quite interested in hearing other's thoughts on this book.  Have you read it cover to cover?  Was your experience similar to mine?  Or am I the only one who got taken for the story within a story within a story...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails