Thursday, September 24, 2009

Exploring Utah: Timpooneke Trail & Scout Falls

One of the most fantastic reasons for living in Utah is the immediate proximity of the Wasatch & Uinta Mountains. Growing up in Idaho, my family made frequent visits to Salt Lake and the surrounding area; always driving around and through the mountains, hearing the stories of ancient Bonneville Lake as well as of the pioneer settlers. In early July, when Dave and I made the trek from New Jersey (in moving truck and car, rather than oxen and cart) the most magnificent scenery was the final stretch of Route-80 from Wyoming, around Park City, and into the setting sun over the Salt Lake Valley. In that moment, I knew that I had arrived at one of the most beautiful destinations of the world. I could hardly wait for my opportunity to really get out and explore the scenic wonders of this portion of the Rockies.

To my delight, my mother-in-law graciously invited me to tag-along her already organized weekly hikes with a small group of friends. Thus far I have been up Days Fork, Red Pine Lake, Cecret Lake, and yesterday explored the beginnings of Timpooneke Trail--the summit of which is Timpanogos. I remembered to bring my camera and was able to capture the very beginnings of autumn.

Early on in the hike I noticed twin falls way up in the distance. The falls were also visible in the photograph above, however, if you don't know exatly what you're looking for, you'll miss it.

I found myself pondering over human's nature--both physical and spiritual--to be drawn toward water and light.

Exquisite white-colored berries, my favorite find

Just when the sun was peaking over the mountain

We crossed over several small waterfalls along the way




We did some exploring after encountering a sign for Scout Falls


Look close, you can see Michelle walking alongside the cliff



The view from the falls was, well, literally breathtaking

1 comment:

  1. so beautiful. oooh, I'm jealous. How cool that you get to go hiking together often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails