Friday, April 8, 2011

Snapshot #273: "Lamb of God"


April 8, 2011.  Salt Lake City, Utah.  This evening Dave and I accompanied my mother and my aunts to the historic tabernacle on temple square and were privileged to witness a live performance of Rob Gardner's "Lamb of God". Music is a powerful thing.  This composition told the story of Jesus Christ's last 7 days on earth, including His excruciating hours spent in Gethsemane.  My favorite song was Peter's "I Cannot Watch Them".  I kept wondering, during Jesus' final hours, where were His friends?


No. 9 'I Cannot Watch Them'
Peter
What have I done?
Denied Him?
What have I done?
So now am I no different from the men
Who take thy bread then turn again? Oh...
What have I done?
I hear their filthy tongues, their vicious scorn,
The lies they spin with Satan's yarn.
I watch them spit and strike Thy face,
They mock Thy name in foul disgrace.
And when Thou lookest for a friend,
Thou findest none, for I have fled,
Oh God!
What have I done?
As Thou hast taken stripes for me,
Could I not take but one for Thee?
I cannot watch them take my Lord.
I can't endure their cruel hands upon Him,
While his own hands are tied with cord,
Those hands with pow'r to raise the dead,
Command the storm, now bound instead, and
I cannot hear them mock His name.
I cannot bear their foul breath upon Him.
I dare not look upon His face
And see the very Son of God,
His brow so bruised ans stained with blood
His eyes that shed my sorrows tears,
And watch as all hope disappears.
I will not watch them crucify my Lord!
For I know this Man!
I know Him!
I know this Man!
I cannot watch what He must bear.
For surely He must carry all my burden.
Forgive me, Lord, that I'm not there...
But, when my eyes are closed in death, 
These words will hang on my last breath:
I know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails